Saturday 18 May 2013

Letting go is not the same as giving up

I found this quote as I was mulling over this blog:

"There's an important difference between giving up and letting go." Jessica Hatchigan

It got me thinking. Do you ever get overly protective about things at work?

You haven't got enough hours in the day to do everything yourself but at the same time you don't want to let go of it in case someone else mucks it up, or gets all the glory.

Yet ironically having the balls to let go not only frees up more time to focus on the really important stuff, but you are also motivated to do an even better job on what's left.

It's hard to resist the self-imposed pressure that a little competition drives in you. The voice in your head saying: 'Right, come on then, I'll prove how good I really am'.

But by putting your ego to one side for a minute you begin to realise that your way is not the only way. If you weren't there doing what you do the world would not crumble around you. Much as you'd like to think it would.

In recent weeks I've started to look at people in a different way. As a result I continue to be impressed by those who I used to have a downer on. There's no other way of putting it. I did.

I assumed all sorts of things about them. Their motivations. Their capabilities. It's sobering to think how limiting that was on me.

That said I'm proud of myself for recognising it and for having deliberately decided to do something about it.

I've fought my instincts. I've managed my emotions. I've reflected each day and externalised my feelings. Not only through this blog, but also with others who I can confide in either because they coach me or I coach them.

Letting go is not the same as giving up. Resigning yourself to the inevitable but still begrudging the situation is likely to leave you festering at best and bitter at worst.

Letting go is empowering. Both to you and those who seek to take whatever it is away from you. Allow them to flourish. Celebrate their enthusiasm and success. Then admit you have learnt more by letting go then you would've done by holding on or giving up.

Try it. It is surprisingly liberating.

If you need a little more convincing here are 25 quotes on letting go I found that struck a chord with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment