Sunday 12 May 2013

Ask me the right question and I'll give you the right answer

I had a little wobble at work last week. Seemingly out of nowhere I questioned my value. I felt disorientated, a little lost.

Fortunately I recognised the feeling as it wasn't the first time it had ever happened. But it's still unnerving nonetheless. It takes you by surprise. Creeps up on you when you're not looking.

I realised something was up though and I needed a helping hand.

Ironically earlier that day I'd been extolling the virtues of personal development and the positive influence a mentor can have. Yet I haven't actually had a mentor myself for a year or so. 

That along with some other factors in the background had conspired together to make me feel uneasy.

What happened next was interesting. I wrote to a senior exec asking for their help.

When they responded they smartly asked me what it was I was looking for. What kind of person and to what end. 

I went to bed to sleep on it. As I reflected the following morning I realised I wanted someone who thinks differently to me and who operates in more of a commercial way than I do.

I'm looking for a coach as much as a mentor who can help me navigate all the various ideas buzzing around my head so I can see more clearly.

It's important to me that they are a people person who I can gel with, and who can encourage me where necessary and challenge me to push harder on some things and let go of others.

Would you go and look at what happened?

Without even trying that hard I had discovered what I needed and I even had four or five people in mind I could approach.

Like all great coaches the exec who emailed me back had enabled me to come up with my own answer by simply asking me the right question.

The feeling of unease began to pass. The confidence flowed back in and the questioning and self doubt subsided.

And nothing much had really happened. Which reminds me, I need to go ask (xxxx) if they'll be my new mentor.

Feel free to ask me how I got on.

No comments:

Post a Comment