Monday 25 February 2013

First day back at school

I had that first day back at school feeling today.

Day one in my new job, albeit for the same company I've worked for more than ten years, although I'm now sat with different people on another floor.

I wheeled my little drawers up to the new department placing my Facebook 'like' glove next to my new desk in an attempt to make my mark.

If I'm honest though I was actually a little nervous.

Being the sensitive soul that I am I worried being away from the busy and bustling press office could mean I'm quickly forgotten. 

Daft really, but it was a good reminder of the importance of walking the floors, seizing every opportunity to talk to colleagues about what I do and why.

But putting aside my healthy dose of paranoia, I'm also relishing the honeymoon period you get in a new job when the phone isn't ringing off the hook and people aren't emailing you every ten seconds or banging down the door (not that we have doors in our open plan offices).

I know it won't last long so I'm going to try and make the most of it while I can.

I also got confirmation of my trip to Orlando next week and where I'll be staying.

My hotel is at Sea World of all places. I'm hoping my room overlooks the clapping sea lions balancing footballs on their noses. Seems rather apt. Although it is going to be extremely hard work it will be even harder to convince people I'm not just going on a jolly.

That said someone asked me recently whether I was off to America for work or pleasure. I said "hopefully it is going to be both". After all who said you cant have fun while working?

As my dad used to say (although I later found out he'd borrowed it from Confucius), if you find a job you love you'll never work another day in your life.

Now that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment