Monday 3 November 2014

My present to you. Enjoy living in the now.

Do you ever get that anxious feeling that you're missing out on something?

Or do you spend so long looking forward to something happening that when it arrives it is somewhat of an anti climax?

When I was a teenager I remember feeling like I was missing out. Something was happening and either I wasn't invited or worst of all I was, but was paralysed by indecision. Should I leave where I was and go there instead. Or should I stay where I am in case I miss out?

On Friday my eight year old was in such a predicament. She wanted to be in two places at once. Already out trick or treating with her sister and one of her best friends she had also been invited to a house party.

As we left her sister and friend and walked to the party she stopped and said she didn't know what to do.

Cue my attempt to explain enjoying life in the moment. Being truly present in the now. Not worrying too much about what has gone before or what may come next. Pausing in the moment and being content with your lot. Right now.

It didn't work. We crossed the road towards the party. Ironically we either went to the wrong house or the party had all gone out trick or treating. Either way her gamble of the grass will be greener backfired.

By now her sister had separated from her friend. And we trudged off home.

On Saturday evening this tweet crossed my timeline. Attributed to the Dalai Lama it captures the sentiment rather more eloquently than I.

When asked what surprised him about humanity he apparently said:

"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he doesn't enjoy the present; the result being he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die; and then he dies having never really lived."

Well said that Dalai.

No comments:

Post a Comment